Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My mid- life crisis

I told you I'd relate some of my exciting travel adventures to you so I'll start with my mid-life crisis trip to Belize, Central America. One evening, at the US Foodservice food show in Albuquerque, New Mexico, I won a Harley. I never won anything in my life previously! What am I to do with this gift, I thought? A mother of 3 who drives a car badly - what hope do I have on a motorcycle at 70MPH? Besides which, you have constant bad hair days and helmet hair. My husband, of course, came to the rescue and offered to ride it on behalf of the family. That clinched it - I couldn't let my husband have fun, that would never do, so I sold it back to the dealership. I had money burning a hole in my pocket so I decided on a nice family vacation. My dear friend in England, Sally Johnson, had once told me of a place far, far away (we were drunk at University so it sounded really good!) where the beaches went forever and the ocean was as blue as the sky. Belize it was! We traveled to Journey's End at Ambergris Key - it was lovely. My husband had done some research on property in Belize before we went. Back on the mainland, we visited the property he had looked at on the internet. Bare, naked beach with jungle directly behind it. Wow, just like a scene from Survivor! Naturally, we just had to light a fire and BBQ some freshly caught fish - with sand as a condiment, I might add. We peed in a hole we dug, we made out a little, we swatted mosquitos, and we decided to buy the vacant lot!
We returned to the States, I gave 6 months notice at my company - I was Chief Operating Officer so it's hard just to quit. I had to arrange a buyout before I left. June 2005 arrived and we had sold our house, all our belongings, bought a motor home and packed it with the kids' toys. We had 2 boats (one aluminum and one cigar boat), a trailer with bikes on it, a van, and the motor home. My dear spouse, Bob, decided that I should drive the Dodge custom van with the speedboat hooked up behind it with no practice - note the comment earlier that I drive badly! He drove the motor home with the trailer behind it. We had planned our route through Mexico with these machines and 3 kids. We had walkie talkies to converse with each other in our vehicles. Were we prepared? You betcha!
More tomorrow......................................... about our trip through Mexico and onto our very own beachfront property on the Caribbean......

No comments: