Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Belize Adventure Part 2

On September 10, I wrote that I would continue my saga "tomorrow" - just to let you know that I meant that in the most Spanish sense of "manyana" since today is not "tomorrow".
Did I tell you we had had a "yard sale" and sold every bit of our furniture, all my knick-knacks and years worth of books? I threw out the last of my business suits, put on my flipflops and off we went! Almost clipping the freeway wall as we entered the freeway, I realized I should give it a little more berth as I turned. After all, my vehicle is suddenly 52 feet long and no longer my zippy little Jeep Grand Cherokee.

We made it all the way past Truth or Consequences before one of the vehicles decided to get sick. Bring on Bob, my most trusty car-fixer-upper. With a little Bondo and a lot of patience, we once more were the proud owners of a fully-functioning heap. Today, while writing this blog, for the sake of a trip down memory lane, I tried to find the RV Park we stayed at. It was memorable because it had a laundry - yes, that was the highlight of my stay. Look up Arrey RV Park in Arrey, NM. A scintillating snack machine stood at attention just at the entrance to the laundry facility. My children were, of course immediately drawn to this monument to carbs.
Onward then the next day through Las Cruces to the flea pit of the earth - El Paso! If you have not already experienced the general "treelessness" of New Mexico, may I suggest that you postpone a visit to El Paso until you learn to live with the dust and forelornness of the high desert. From the freeway to the left is capitalism at its best; from the right - the Rio Grande, Mexico, and for the most part, extreme poverty. It's scorching hot - 105 degrees, with the sun reflecting off the patched tin roofs of the shacks on the Mexico side. Youths, mothers and children, entire families are wading across the Rio Grande, heading directly towards border guards with rifles aimed and cocked, sitting behind bulletproof glass shields mounted at the side of the street. The newcomers veer to the left or right, hoping to be the one who gets through the patrol. After all, you just need to do it once and all your worries are over, right?
On we drive, somber now, through road construction and lanes so narrow on I-10 I far that I will "take out" the neighboring vehicle.
More to follow

No comments: